During this period of uncertainty, we wanted to let you know that here at Blirt we will continue to operate as normal but with more emphasis on video conferencing and digital collaboration.
We are here to help you sharpen your strategic focus and to prepare for the opportunities that will arise when the economy bounces back.
This isn’t the end of the world.
It is a pandemic, but we will get past Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
In our podcast, The Brand Transformation Show, we interviewed our client and infectious disease expert, Prof Robert Booy. Prof Booy, from the University of Sydney, is a global expert on infectious diseases and has been educating Australia across the media and informing public policy during this crisis.
The key messages:
- This is a battle, we need to take action to slow the disease down and every business can help.
- As business leaders, we must help our teams practice good hygiene, social distancing, work from home but most importantly, keep going.
Society and community need businesses to keep trading and survive through this crisis. Don’t stop, press forward with confidence by following good hygiene.
- This change in behaviours may need to last 3 months.
- We are seeing other parts of the world come through their 2-3 month painful period and cases are reducing; Wuhan, South Korea and Singapore are all demonstrating they are now on top of the crisis (see chart below).
- Respect, trust and leadership matter now more than ever before.
The winds have changed quickly and we have entered a period of increased volatility.
- The economy is likely to experience volatility for 6 months.
- Schools are likely to be closed at some point for 3 to 5 weeks.
- Businesses will require their staff to work remotely.
- Some suburbs or communities may well be put in to a period of quarantine.
- There is no reason to panic, just change behaviours.
It is clear markets are panicking, just like in the GFC and other fearful times. The disease of short-termism can be worse than COVID-19, don’t fall into that trap.
There is no better time to be sharpening your focus than during this period of volatility. But time is running out already. Realistically there is a 3 to 6 month window to prepare and position your business for the upcoming bounce back.
Chaos will retreat, and when it does, the economy will bounce back stronger and faster than we have previously experienced.
In time, the impact will look like a blip on the growth chart. Look at the Great Depression, the Oil Crisis and the GFC.
Organisations that sharpen their focus today and prepare and position their business well will receive a compounding effect when the economic bounce back occurs.
While we can’t be sure of the full impacts that COVID-19 will have on business we can assure you that we’re open and here to help and support you to prepare and position your business to take advantage of the opportunities that will arise during and after the bounce back.
What we’re doing at Blirt
The health and safety of our families, staff and clients is our number one priority.
At Blirt, we will be exercising additional caution when working with our clients.
- We will communicate and collaborate digitally and via web conferencing as much as possible and as a first priority.
- If onsite meetings or workshops are required, we will be implementing social distancing (please don’t take it personally!).
Apps and resources you can use today
Below is information about apps you can use to support remote work and collaboration with your clients.
Web conference/video call apps
We use Zoom for conferencing and video calls. Zoom has free and paid account options. The app is easy to use and has effective screen sharing functionality for presenting, coaching and demo purposes. Zoom has a great Help Center chock-full of support articles and videos to get started.
Get started with Zoom
Go here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362033-Getting-Started-on-Windows-and-Mac
Other web conference apps
We use Microsoft Teams internally for collaboration with clients. It is free with most Microsoft Office for Business licenses and integrates easily with other Microsoft products such as Outlook and OneNote.
Get started with Microsoft Teams
- Article – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/get-started-with-teams-quick-start
- Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98wx-6vNbGs
Other collaboration apps
Whatever pain we will experience, as Prof Booy says, night follows day, pandemics come and they will go, the sun will rise, we will keep going.
We’re here to serve.